Michael Ostrov, MD, MS
While pursuing a rewarding career as a Family Physician with Obstetrics, Dr. Ostrov completed an MS in health care administration. He then transitioned to the role of Director of Clinical Quality Group Health Cooperative of South Central Wisconsin, a community-based health plan and medical group. He went on to become the Chief Medical Officer at GHC-SCW. It was during his tenure, that GHC-SCW achieved national recognition by the National Clinical Quality Association (NCQA), placing GHC-SCW in the top 10 US plans for 8 years in a row, as reported by the US News and World Report and Consumer Reports.
As CMO, Dr. Ostrov provided leadership to a broad spectrum of health care professionals. He was a member of the GHC executive leadership team overseeing all strategic business issues in the health care marketplace. His responsibilities included working with the GHC Board of Directors and oversight of six clinical department managers in addition to clinical quality, medical management, provider relations and contracting. He led his organization through complex change and innovations including implementation of the EPIC electronic medical record system and creation of the Integrative Medicine department. Dr. Ostrov had oversight of major new initiatives in physical and occupational therapy services, optimal protocols for the treatment of low back pain, behavioral health integration into primary care, and coordinated care of patients with chronic pain. Under his direction, several of these innovative programs received state and national recognition.
- Worked on the national health care leadership level, during the run up to the adoption of the Affordable Care Act
- Served an extended term as the Chairperson of the Medical Directors Council for the Alliance of Community Health Plans (ACHP).
- Fellow ACHP members include Kaiser Permanente, Geisinger, Fallon Health Plan and Group Health of Puget Sound. The Obama Care model for community-based medical home mirrored the health care delivery model that Dr. Ostrov helped shape and direct.
- Recently, Dr. Ostrov joined the new EPIC Emeritus Consultant Program at EPIC Health Systems, Verona, WI.
- He is also a Medical Expert with HealthTap.
Michael Ostrov MD, MS, received his BA in Psychology from the University of Michigan, his MD from St. Louis University and his MS in Executive Health Care Administration